GATE 2019 Exam Pattern: Exam Structure and Marking Scheme

Application Form 2020

The GATE 2019 examination will be Conducted in online mode. This Year the exam will be conducted in 24 disciplines with 3 sections namely, General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and the specific subject of the paper. The duration of the examination will be examined will be 3 hours. And the exam paper will consist of both multiple choice and numerical answer type questions. Each paper will also consist of General Aptitude questions which have to be attempted. Throughout the article, we will provide you with the detail information about the GATE 2019 exam Pattern and GATE 2019 Marking Scheme .

GATE 2019 Exam Pattern

Before we go in deep let’s have a look at the brief description of this prestigious examination Examination. It will help you to know more about the complete exam Pattern in section wise.

GATE 2019 Exam Details

Exam details Descriptions
Test Mode Online
Total No. of Questions 65
Total marks 100
No. of Sections 3
Type of sections General Aptitude

Engineering Mathematics

Subject Specific

Type of Questions Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)


Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions

Marking Scheme 1 mark MCQs – 1/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.


2 mark MCQs – 2/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong response.


Zero marks will be awarded for unattempted questions


No negative marking will be done for Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions


Gate 2019 Exam Pattern

Exam Pattern Geology and Geophysics Paper

Geology and Geophysics Paper (GG)
Sections No. of Questions Marks
Part A 25 1 Marks per questions
Part B (Section I and II) 30 2 Marks Per questions

Exam Pattern for Life Science


Type of Questions

Number of Questions

Sub-Total (Marks)

Chemistry Section or Section P (Compulsory)

1 mark questions



2 mark questions



Sections Q to U

1 mark questions



2 mark questions



Engineering Science Exam Pattern

Section Type of Question Number of Question Sub-total (Marks)
Section A (Compulsory) 1 Mark Question 7 7
2 Marks Question 4 8
Section B to H



1 Mark Question 9 9
2 Marks Question 13 26

Types of Questions

The Exam Paper will have two types of questions that can be expected by the Aspirants for GATE 2019. The types of Questions are given below:

Question type Descriptions
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
  • All The questions are objective type in nature.
  • every question has four options out of which one will be the correct answer.
Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
  • The answer will be a real number which the candidates will have to use to enter through a mouse and virtual keyboard.
  • It can either be an integer (3, 7, 21 and more) or a number with decimals (for example 10.1) No choices and options will be provided for these type of questions.

GATE 2019 Marking Scheme

  • GATE papers with the codes (AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF) and XE and also include sections of Engineering mathematics will be (15% of total marks)
  • General Aptitude Questions will be 15% of total marks.
  • The rest of the paper (70%) will be based on the subject selected by the Applicants.
  • GATE papers with the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST and XL also include a compulsory section of General Aptitude with 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% will be for the selected subject by the aspirants.

Important Links

Aspirants May Also Check these Important links related to GATE 2018 Examination.

Subject Description
Download GATE 2018 Official Bulletin (PDF) Click Here
Get detailed info on Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2018 Notification Click Here
GATE 2018 previous year Question Papers | Model Question Papers for GATE Click Here
GATE Eligibility Criteria 2018 | Age | Nationality | Qualification Click Here
Best Recommended Books for GATE 2018 Exam Click Here
GATE 2018 Admit Card | Hall Ticket for GATE 2018 Exam. Click Here
Expected (GATE 2018) & Previous Year GATE Cut-off Score. Click Here
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern & Selection Procedure Click Here
GATE 2018 Exam Centres: Check List of All test venues Click Here

For any Query related to GATE 2018, comment on the comment box mentioned below. Our expert will help you to make the Best preparation Strategy for GATE Entrance Examination.

Best of Luck…!!

Application Form 2020

Disclaimer: If you have found any inappropriate or wrong information/data on the site, inform us by emailing at mail[@] for rectification/deletion/updating of the same.

Leave a comment below or Join Edufever forum