National School Of Drama, New Delhi
The National School of Drama popularly known as NSD Delhi is one of the foremost theatre training institutions in the world and the only one of its kind in India. It was set up by the Sangeet Natak Akademi as one of its constituent units in 1959.
In the year 1975, the NSD Delhi became an independent entity and was registered as an autonomous organisation under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860, fully financed by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- 1 National School of Drama Delhi
- 2 National School of Drama Courses
- 3 NSD Delhi Admission Process
- 4 NSD Delhi Fees Structure
- 5 Rankings and Reputation
- 6 CONTACT ADDRESS
National School of Drama Delhi
Before we go to complete college review, let us have a look at the major details of National School of Drama.
|Name of Institute||National School of Drama|
|Popular Name||NSD Delhi|
|Year of Establishment||1959|
|Affiliated with||Self Recognised|
|Courses offered||3-year full-time Diploma Courses in Dramatic Arts|
|Category||Drama Schools in India|
Affiliations, Recognition, and other Achievement:
- The National School of Drama is an autonomous organisation under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860.
- The NSD Delhi is fully financed by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- Aid Status: Government
- No Ragging Environment.
Facilities at NSD Delhi
- Online Library Catalogue
- Performing Stage
- Video-Audio Library
National School of Drama Courses
The National School of Drama Offers three-year full-time Diploma Courses in Dramatic Arts for entrants intending to make theatre their profession.
|1.||3-year full-time Diploma Courses in Dramatic Arts||NA|
The central aim of the course is to prepare students for the practice of theatre. Let us now look into different subject of study at NSD Delhi.
Training in the School is based on a thorough, comprehensive and carefully planned syllabus that covers every aspect of theatre from theory to practice over three years, and the results are put to the test before a wide audience. The syllabus of NSD Delhi Can be broadly discussed into these three years Fundamental training programs in Acting and Drama.
- Introduction to Acting
- Introduction to Theatre Techniques & Design
- Theatre History, Literature & Aesthetics
- Specialisation in Acting OR Theatre Techniques & Design
- Theatre History, Literature & Aesthetics
- Specialisation chosen in the second year Continues
Subject of Study
- Modern Indian Drama
- Classical Indian Drama & Aesthetics
- World Drama
- Voice & Speech
- Theatre Music
- Acting and Improvisation
- Theatre Architecture
- Scenic Design & Stage Technology
- Costume Design
- Production Process
- Appreciation Courses and Workshops
**Apart from the above courses, the School also organises appreciation courses and workshop sessions on different aspects of Indian art and culture, sociology, philosophy and history for the students.
NSD Delhi Admission Process
- Application Form can be filled up online and submitted at School Website and must be submitted at school website with the requisite Fees while filling the form online.
- The Application form can also be downloaded from the official website and must be sent along with the draft of RS 150/- in favour of The Director, National School of Drama, New Delhi in an envelope titled
- “Application for Admission Session (Eg 2017-20).
Application Form and Prospectus can also be collected from the Book Shop of the National School of Drama within a time period by paying a cash of Rs 150/- between 10:00 A.M to 1:00 P.M & 2:00 P.M to 5:00 P.M
- Graduation from any recognised University in India or Abroad.
- Participation in at least 6 Theatre Production.
- Working knowledge of Hindi & English
Minimum 18 years to Maximum 30 Years (5 Years of Age relaxation for SC/ST Candidate)
Screening of Application is carried out in two stages,
- The preliminary test of Acting skills, audition and screening test at New Delhi and nine o0ther NSD centres located in Guwahati, Kolkata, Bhubaneswar, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Mumbai, Lucknow and Chandigarh.
- Shortlisted candidate will then have to undergo a final round of selection (usually last for 4 to 5 days) in New Delhi.
- The selected candidate name will be published on the official website of the National School of Drama.
NSD Delhi Fees Structure
Candidates selected for admission will have to pay all fees and other dues, as listed below, before the opening day, failing which they will not be admitted into the School.
|Admission fee:||Rs. 150|
|Tuition fee:||Rs. 150 per month|
|Students’ Union membership fee:||Rs. 60 per year|
|Advance fee for the make-up kit fee:||Rs. 2000 (adjustable)|
|Caution money and library fee deposit||Rs. 9000 (refundable after final settlement of accounts)|
|Stationary Fee:||Rs. 1650|
HOSTEL, MESS & OTHER MISCELLANEOUS DUES
|Hostel rent per seat:||Rs. 250 per month|
|Electricity & water charges:||Rs. 150 per month (adjustable as per consumption)|
|Medical charges:||Rs. 100 per month|
|Mess charges (for lunch and dinner):||Rs. 1800 per month (likely to vary every month)|
**Students are advised to keep an additional provision of Rs.1000 at the time of joining, to cover any price rise/hike that may occur in the above-mentioned items.
Rankings and Reputation
The National School of Drama. New Delhi has turned out to be the Best Drama School in India. The Infrastructure is Excellent, Faculties are well trained, Theatre and Audio-visual Training programs are very good so do the Visual Labs and Library. We would like to give this college 5 out of 5 stars on Edufever Best Drama Colleges in India.
National School of Drama
1, Bhagwandas Road
New Delhi – 110 001
Email: [email protected]
Best of Luck…!!