Most of you might have traveled in a ship or some other marine vehicles at some point in your life. Have any of you ever thought about whose skills are behind these beautiful structures? Yeah, those are all an application of Ocean Engineering and the one who is behind all these activities is an Ocean Engineer. Well, this article will give you a glimpse of Ocean Engineering Careers and help you to decide whether a career in Ocean Engineering is a better profession for you or not. Read depth info on various Ocean Engineering Courses offered by different Ocean Engineering colleges in India and the Ocean Engineering Jobs available after pursuing the course.
Ocean Engineering is another form of civil engineering and hence it requires artistic skills. The introduction of Ocean Engineering has changed the method of study of Oceanography. If you are interested in inventing and designing marine structures such as ships, then continue reading this article to find more details about Ocean Engineering.
What is Ocean Engineering?
Ocean Engineering is an amalgamation of many subjects such as Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering etc. Ocean engineering is a sub-discipline of engineering that studies the designing and construction of tools and equipment for the purpose of oceanography studies. A person who practices Ocean Engineering is called as an Ocean Engineer and an Ocean Engineer may have to work in uncomfortable environments that include dangerous territories too.
It is said that a good Ocean Engineer should know almost all about an ocean such as natural resources like oil or oxygen found within it. In the earlier years, thousands of days or even months may take to complete a research study for an oceanographer. The introduction of Ocean Engineering has made their life easier.
What are the jobs of an Ocean Engineer?
Some important jobs of an Ocean Engineer are listed below:
- Work with Oceanographers, marine biologists, geologists and geophysicists
- Work along with research team to help with research projects
- Design, schedule and implement marine structures
- Design structures in such a way that it should be able to work in saline water and withstand storms and other marine environmental conditions.
- Acquire knowledge in Engineering principles and ocean environments
- Fix and maintain equipment
Various Ocean Engineering Courses in India
To work as an Ocean Engineer or to make a career in Ocean Engineering, one may earn a degree in following Ocean Engineering courses.
(A) Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Ocean Engineering
- Eligibility: Higher Secondary (10+2)
- Course Duration: 4 years
(B) Master of Technology (M.Tech.) in Ocean Engineering
- Eligibility: Bachelors degree
- Course Duration: 2 years
What are the Future Prospects of Ocean Engineer (Ocean Engineering Jobs)?
An Ocean Engineer plays a crucial role in helping the Oceanographers and marine biologists in their research projects. An Ocean Engineer may sometimes force to work in harsh and dangerous places and most of the other times; their working environment is a ship or submarines.
Many governments, private, oil, conservation, and navigation industries offer multiple job opportunities for n Ocean Engineer. They can apply to construction companies concentrating on offshore structures and oil drilling and exploration companies. One can apply for positions like inspector or inspection engineer, surveyor, a lecturer at universities and welding engineer.
Top Ocean Engineering Colleges in India offering Ocean Engineering Careers:
Some of the best colleges in India offering Ocean Engineering Careers are as followed:
- National Institute of Technology, Calicut
- Indian Institute of Technology, Surathkal
- Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kerala
- Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai
- Chennai School of Ship Management, Chennai
- National Ship Design and Research Centre, Vishakapatnam
- International Maritime Academy, Chennai
PC: National Geographic.