Hi friends, today we are going to discuss you about the latest Syllabus of Class XII English Elective NCERT Syllabus. As you know very well that Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has its own curriculum and they hold the supreme authority to change it further for the benefit of students.
So it’s always a wise decision to keep an eye on what happening around with the subject you are going to learn. This year CBSE made little bit changes in class XII English Elective NCERT syllabus. Let us have a look at the updated CBSE class XII English Elective NCERT Syllabus for the academic year 2017-18
CBSE class XII English Elective NCERT Syllabus (2018-19 Session)
SECTION – A
Reading an unseen passage and a poem (60 Periods)
- Very Short Answer Questions: One literary or discursive passage of about 950-1000 words followed by short questions
- Short Answer Questions: A poem of about 24 – 28 lines to test interpretation and appreciation.
SECTION – B
Creative Writing Skills and Applied Grammar (60 Periods)
- Long Answer Question: A short discursive, interpretative writing
- Very Long Answer Questions: An essay on an argumentative/discursive topic such as an article/report/speech.
- Very Short Answer Question: Transformation of sentences.
SECTION – C
Literature Textbook: Kaleidoscope (60 Periods)
- Short Answer Questions: To test understanding and appreciation
- Long Answer Question: To test deeper understanding, interpretation, appreciation, drawing of inferences and evaluation.
Fiction (40 Periods)
- Long Answer Questions: Seeking comments, interpretation, evaluation, and appreciation of characters, events, episodes and interpersonal relationships.
- Very Long Answer Question: To test deeper understanding, interpretation, appreciation and drawing inferences.
1. Kaleidoscope – Textbook published by NCERT
2. A Tiger for Malgudi or The Financial Expert by R.K. Narayan (Novel) Fiction
ENGLISH ELECTIVE NCERT XII (Code No. 001) (Marks -100)
| QUESTION PAPER DESIGN 2017-18 |
|Typology||Testing Competencies/learning outcomes||VSA 1 marks||Short Answer 50-60 words 2 marks||Long Answer-1 80 – 100 words 5 marks||Long Answer-2 120-150 words 6 marks||Very Long Answer 150 – 200 words (HOTS) 10 marks||Total marks||Overall %|
|Reading Comprehension||Conceptual understanding, decoding, analyzing, inferring, interpreting, appreciating or literary conventions and vocabulary.||10||2||–||–||–||20||20|
|Creative Writing Skills||Reasoning appropriacy of Style and tone, using appropriate format, inferring, analyzing, evaluating, creativity with fluency Applying appropriate language Conventions, comprehension using structures interactively, application, accuracy and fluency||10||–||2||–||1||30||30|
|Literature Texts||Recalling, reasoning, appreciating literary conventions illustrating with relevant quotations from the texts, giving opinions and justifying, inferring, analyzing, evaluating, creativity and fluency||–||4||2||2||–||30||30|
|Fiction||Recalling, reasoning, appreciating literary conventions, Illustrating with relevant quotations from the texts, inferring, analyzing, evaluating and creating, giving opinions, justifying with fluency||–||–||2||–||1||20||20|
|TOTAL||20×1= 20||9×2=18||6×5=30||2×6=12||2×10= 20||100||100|