Every year lacs of young aspirant from across the country, especially from Bengal, eagerly waits for the notification of their dream job. Oh yes, we are talking about the dream prestigious job of West Bengal civil service (WBCS). Recently Public service commission of West Bengal has announced the notification for West Bengal civil service 2020 (WBCS 2020).
In accordance with the State Services Recruitment Rules, the Public Service Commission, West Bengal will hold the West Bengal Civil Service (Exe) etc. Examination, 2020 on the results of which recruitment to the West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) and certain other services and posts will be made. The rules of the examination and other particulars are stated in the following Article.
Aspirants May Also Check these Important links related to KVS PGT 2020 Recruitment Notification.
|Major Notification||Eligibility Criteria||Exam Pattern|
|Syllabus||Books||Previous Year Paper|
|Sample Paper||Admit Card||Test Series|
|Cut-Off||Q & A||Job Profile|
WBCS 2020 Notification
Before we speak about the Date, Selection Procedure and other related information, let us check the basic details for the prestigious Exam.
Brief Description of the Job
|Conducting Body||West Bengal Public Service Commission (WB-PSC)|
|Name of the Exam||West Bengal Civil Service Exam 2020|
|Online Application Starts From||5th November 2019|
|Last Date to Apply||25th November 2019|
|Written Exam Date (Prelims)||9th February 2020|
|Application Fee||General/OBC – Rs. 210/- |
SC/ST/PWD/Ex-SM – NIL
|How to apply||Online|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Number of Vacancies||Not declared|
|Job Posting||Anywhere in West Bengal|
|Job Profile||Executive (Grade A, B, C, D)|
WBSC Eligibility Criteria
To appear for the West Bengal civil service examination one should have all these important eligibility criteria. A candidate should verify the notified rules that he/she is eligible for admission to the examination. Keep in mind that the conditions prescribed cannot be relaxed.
- A degree from a recognized University.
- Ability to read, write and speak in Bengali (not required for those candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali).
- Not below 21 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination for services and posts.
- For the West Bengal Police Service only (i.e. Group “B” Service) age not below 20 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination.
- The candidate must have good health and character and suitability in all respects for appointment to Government service.
- Concession in age:– The upper age relaxation for S.C., S.T. candidates of West Bengal is of 5 years and by 3 years for O.B.C. candidates. In the case of Persons with Disabilities (PWD), the age relaxation is up to 45 years. Do keep in mind that the S.C./S.T./O.B.C. candidates of other States shall be treated as general candidates.
- The candidate must be
- Citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or a subject of Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- WBCS 2020 complete Eligibility criteria Click Here
- Best Books for West Bengal Civil Service Preliminary Exams 2020
WBCS 2020 Exam Pattern
The West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) etc Examination will be held in some successive stages, viz., Preliminary examination, Main Examination, Personality Test and Medical Fitness.
(A) Preliminary examination (Objective Type):
The Preliminary Examination will consist of only one paper, viz., a paper on General Studies. The paper will be of an objective type consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions, each carrying one mark. The total time duration will be 2½ hours. The standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate of any faculty of a recognized University. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge.
|Current events of National & International Importance 2||25|
|History of India||25|
|Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal||25|
|Indian Polity and Economy||25|
|Indian National Movement||25|
|General Mental Ability||25|
(B) Main Examination (Conventional Type-Written):
The Main Examination will consist of six compulsory papers and one optional subject to be chosen by the candidates from the list of optional subjects given below. There will be two papers of the optional subject of 200 marks each. Each paper, Compulsory or Optional, will carry 200 marks and will be of 3 hours duration.
Six compulsory papers
|I||Bengali or Hindi or Urdu or Nepali or Santali||200|
|IV||General Studies –II||200|
|V||Constitution of India and Indian Economy||200|
|VI||Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning||200|
(C) Personality Test:
Candidates on the basis of their results in the Preliminary Examination will be allowed admission to the Main Examination and based on the marks you scored in Main Exam, you will be allowed to the personality test. Every year a number of candidates selected in order of merit on the results of the Main Examination for all the services and posts included in Groups A, B, C and D will have to appear for a Personality Test.
Each candidate will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the test will be to assess the candidate‘s personal qualities e.g., alertness of mind, the power of clear and logical exposition, intellectual and moral integrity, leadership and also the candidate‘s range of interests.
(D) Medical Examination:
Candidates who will be selected for appointment will be required to appear before a Medical Board for certificates of their fitness for Government service in the form prescribed for the purpose.
Download Free Study Material and Notes for WBCS Exam:
WBCS 2020 Syllabus
The WBCS 2020 exam is a two-tier written test. The Preliminary Examination will consist of only one paper, viz., a paper on General Studies. The paper will be of an objective type consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions, each carrying one mark. The total time duration will be 2½ hours. The standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate of any faculty of a recognized University. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge.
The Main Examination will consist of six compulsory papers and one optional subject to be chosen by the candidates from the list of optional subjects given below. There will be two papers of the optional subject of 200 marks each. Each paper, Compulsory or Optional, will carry 200 marks and will be of 3 hours duration. One can read and download the complete updated WBCS Syllabus 2020 by Click here
Best Books for WBCS 2020 Exam
Candidates preparing for the exam are getting tensed about the Study Materials and Books required to crack the Exam. But if your preparation is effective and you are working with proper planning then you can easily clear the cut-off. All you need is these Best Books for WBCS Exam.
Post Offered by WBCS with PayScale
As per the notification, The W.B.C.S. (Exe.) etc Examination is to be treated as a combined Competitive Examination for all the four groups (A, B, C, D) of services and posts as detailed below.
WBCS Group–A Jobs
|1.||West Bengal Civil Service (Executive)||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|2.||West Bengal Commercial Tax Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|3.||West Bengal Agricultural Income-tax Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|4.||West Bengal Excise Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|5.||West Bengal Co-operative Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|6.||West Bengal labour Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|7.||West Bengal Food and Supplies Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
|8.||West Bengal Employment Service [Except the post of Employment Officer (Technical)||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-)|
|9.||West Bengal Registration and Stamp Revenue Service:||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
WBCS Group–B Jobs
|1.||West Bengal Police Service:||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-|
Group–C Jobs of WBCS
|1.||Joint Block Development Officer||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-|
|2.||Deputy Assistant Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Business Practices||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-|
|3.||West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-|
|4.||Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation)||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,400/-|
|5.||West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service, Grade-I||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-|
|6.||Assistant Commercial Tax Officer||( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-|
|7.||Chief Controller of Correctional Services||( PB-3) Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-|
WBCS Group–D Jobs
|1.||Inspector of Co-operative Societies||( PB-3) Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-|
|2.||Panchayat Development Officer under the Panchayat and Rural Development Department||( PB-3) Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-|
|3.||Rehabilitation Officer under the Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Department||(PB-3) Rs.7,100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-|
Note: For all the services and posts included in the above four groups with the PayScale as above, allowances will also be admissible as per Government orders in force.
How to Apply for West Bengal Civil Service
A candidate must submit his/her WBCS 2020 application using these instructions.
- One has to visit the official website of West Bengal Public service commission (Click Here)
- Click on the apply online or register
- Fill the personal details carefully.
- After Filling the personal detail, one has to select the subject for which He/She is applying.
- Upload the photo and signature in the prescribed format.
- Pay the application fee online.
- Save the Application form for future use.
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims syllabus/ Exam Pattern/ Elementary Resources.
- Download NCERT Books for Competitive Exams in PDF (Free)
Application Fee For WBCS Exam
A fee of Rs.210/- (Rupees two hundred ten) only + Service Charge 1% of Examination Fee subject to a minimum of Rs.5/-Rupees Five) only for online payment through debit/credit card plus service charge as applicable as Govt. Duty or Service Charge of Rs.5/- (Rupees Five) only for Net Banking or Service Charge of Rs.20/- (Rupees Twenty) only for payment through Bank Counter (offline payment).
There are two payment methodologies – Online Payment and Offline Payment.
- Offline Payment Mode: Candidates will get a Challan of United Bank of India (UBI) on their dashboard. On selecting the Offline Payment mode, candidates will be forwarded to their respective Dashboard from where they have to download the Challan by clicking the Challan button. Candidates can go to nearest UBI next working day 11:00 AM onwards and within closing hours of the bank to deposit the requisite fees. After depositing the fees in the bank, on the next working day or two, the candidate will find their application submitted status as Completed.
- Online Payment mode: There will be three options for payment, viz., Credit Card, Debit Card and Net Banking. Soon after selecting the Online Payment option, candidates will be forwarded to Payment Gateway for making the payment. After successfully making the payment, candidates will be redirected to their respective Dashboard, where they will find their application submission status as Completed.
- SC/ST candidates of West Bengal and Persons with disabilities (PWD) having the physical disability of 40% and above are not required to pay any fee. OBC candidates in West Bengal are, however, required to pay a usual fee as aforesaid.
- NO EXEMPTION OF FEE IS AVAILABLE TO SC/ST/BC CANDIDATES OF OTHER STATES.
WBCS Admit Card
The admit card for the West Bengal Civil Services 2020 Admit Card will be released 2 weeks before the Expected Exam. The Admit Card or commonly known as Call Later can be download from the official website. The admit card is the mandatory document to carry during the Exam hall at the time of written examination. If a candidate fails to show His/Her WBCS 2020 Admit Card at the time of the written exam, then he/she shall not be allowed to appear for the test. You will also find a link to download WBCS 2020 Admit Card from here when it got published by the authority.
West Bengal Civil Service Helpline Numbers
For further details and assistance, the candidates may contact the following numbers on any working day from 11-00 a.m. to 4-00 p.m.
- Related to Offline Payment: (033) 2262-4181
- For general information: (033) 2419-8185
- Related to Online Payment: (033) 4003-5104
For any Query related to WBCS notification 2020, comment on the comment box mentioned below. Our expert will help you to make the Best preparation Strategy for the civil service examination.
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims syllabus/ Exam Pattern/ Elementary Resources.
- Download NCERT Books for Competitive Exams in PDF (Free)
Best of Luck Aspirants!