Ayurveda Vs Allopathy: For centuries, Ayurveda has been used as the primary medicinal system till the concept of allopathy was introduced by the west. However, it underwent a period of decline during the British era as western medical education became dominant. Ayurveda became a second-class option used primarily by traditional spiritual practitioners and the poor. Though it gained ground after Independence, and new schools started to establish. Some sections of people prefer allopathy, as it is easily available, provides instant pain relief and is scientifically tested.
Medicine is an important field in which displacement of the traditional professional through the elimination or absorption of its know-how by its modern counterpart. Modern medicine is experimental and, therefore, capable of advances in diagnosis and treatment; Traditional medicine is a closed system and non-experimental. It is, Therefore, incapable of improvement within the traditional framework.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is a medicine based on the belief that our health depends on a balance between the body, mind, and spirit. Its main goal is to help people stay healthy, not to cure diseases. However, some treatments Ayurveda practitioners may use are specifically designed to help people with certain health problems.
Ayurvedic therapies include herbal medicine, special diets, meditation, yoga, massage, laxatives, enemas, and medical oils. These therapies are based on complex herbal compounds, minerals, and metal substances.
What is Allopathy?
The term “Allopathy” was invented by Samuel Hahneman. Allopathy is used for treating diseases by administering substances that produce other symptoms (when given to a healthy human) than the symptoms produced by a disease. Allopathic physicians, also known as medical doctors, have a variety of responsibilities related to health maintenance, such as prevention and acute care. They can specialise in various fields and pursue a career in research or education. Allopathic physicians have an MD or medical doctor degree and have various responsibilities related to maintaining health, such as prevention and acute care. They can specialize in several speciality areas and build a career in research or teaching.
Types of Modern Medicine
- Pain relievers (acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen)
- Muscle relaxers.
- Cough suppressants.
- Sore throat medications.
- Antibiotic ointments.
Benefits of Ayurveda
Ayurvedic medicine offers many benefits for individuals seeking to restore balance and harmony between the body, mind and spirit. It is a holistic system of healing that considers the individual’s physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
- Improved overall health and well-being: By restoring balance and harmony between the body, mind and spirit, Ayurvedic medicine can help to improve overall health and well-being.
- Relief from symptoms of chronic illnesses: By addressing the root cause, Ayurvedic medicine can help reduce symptoms and improve quality of life.
Benefits of Allopathy Medicine
- Contemporary Technology: Doctors can access the latest technology to diagnose and treat illnesses and injuries.
- Proficient Doctors: Allopathic doctors are highly skilled physicians who can treat illnesses and injuries and perform tests to help improve the quality of life of their patients.
- Patient Protection: All allopathic doctors and nurses are licensed, ensuring patients have legal protection and only receive the best treatment.
- Research and Development: Huge investment goes into research and development. New treatments and medicines are developed daily.
- Easy Availability: There are medical facilities in every town. There’s always somewhere a patient can go to seek medical help.
Ayurveda Vs Allopathy: Which is better?
Ayurveda has been in India for centuries. Earlier, people practised Ayurveda as the primary medicinal system. It is also known as alternative medicine, where homemade remedies are primarily used as medicine. Ayurveda not only deals with the body but with spirit and mind. The main reason why people are shifting their preference to Ayurveda is that to relieve themselves from immediate pain, people tend to take allopathy medications which can damage the human body in the long run. Allopathy medicine may pacify one disease but tend to increase the occurrence of other diseases.
Allopathy is the new contemporary medicinal system introduced by the west. It provides instant pain relief, whereas ayurvedic medicine may take some time to effect. With allopathy, physicians have the latest technology to run various tests. On the other hand, Ayurveda is a traditional medical system, and diseases can be cured through therapies. Many modern medications are derived from plants alluded to in the ayurvedic texts, like Rauwolfia Serpentia, which is used to treat headaches, anxiety and snakebite. Its derivative is used in treating blood pressure nowadays.
Difference between Ayurveda Vs Allopathy
There is a difference between ayurveda and allopathy medicines. Ayurveda heals diseases from the root but does not provide instant relief, whereas Allopathy does provide instant relief but does have side effects. Below we have mentioned some of the differences between Ayurveda Vs Allopathy.
|Ayurveda is an ancient form of alternative medicine course which involves the treatment of diseases with the help of herbs, vegetables and minerals, followed by wholesome betterment of the human body.
|Allopathy involves curing ailments with clinically tested drugs for better results.
|Ayurveda does not accept or include Allopathic treatments.
|Allopathy can easily accept Ayurvedic forms of medicine if they pass all required clinical trials performed by professionals.
|Ayurvedic medicine has no side effects. Depending on the body, some herbs can have side effects if taken in high doses for a long period.
|Allopathic medication does have side effects.
|Effectiveness in an Emergency
|Ayurvedic medicine, though natural, takes a bit longer to prove its worth and can rarely be used in emergencies.
|Allopathic medication is highly effective in an emergency as it gives faster results.
Advantages of Ayurveda over Allopathy
- Composed of Natural Elements: Allopathy medicine is composed of chemicals, whereas ayurveda is composed naturally of herbs, plants etc., that cause no harm. It is entirely pure and made from vegetables, fruits, and spices.
- Individual treatment: Allopathy treats people suffering from different diseases the same way, whereas ayurveda treats them differently according to the people’s requirements.
- Economical: Ayurvedic medicine is safe and less expensive than allopathic medicine as it provides long-term relief and cures symptoms. On the other hand, allopathic medicine are costlier and medically composed, i.e., made from chemicals.
Ayurveda Vs Allopathy: Ayurveda Alternatives
- Sudarsana Tablet: It is an alternative medicine for crocin as it is used in case of fever and viral infections.
- Alsactil: It is an alternative medicine for antacids. It is taken in case of acidity and heartburn. It can be used to improve appetite and cure hyperacidity.
- Histantin: It is an alternative medicine for Allegra. It is used for allergy-related symptoms.
- Tussnil syrup: It is an alternative medicine for dry cough syrups as it can be use for cough, bronchitis and allergy.
Side Effects of Ayurveda and Allopathy
Medicinal treatment cannot guarantee side effects. There are some side effects while taking a medicine. Even Ayurveda has some side effects if high doses are consumed for a long period. We have compiled some of the common side effects of Ayurveda and Allopathy medicine. Let’s take a look.
|Side effects of Allopathy Medicine
|Side effects of Ayurveda Medicine
|Diarrhoea and abdominal discomfort, especially in high doses
|Headache and Insomnia
|headaches, nausea and hiccups
|Skin rash or dermatitis
|Dizziness and Drowsiness
|an allergic rash (when applied to the skin)
|Dry mouth and Nausea
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which field is best for science students with Biology (PCB)?
What are some of the best career options for a Science student?
Check out our list of the top 7 highest paying science careers for inspiration to guide your science career journey.
>Biochemists and biophysicists
Which is better, Ayurveda or Allopathy?
Ayurveda permanently cures disease and rids the body of all germs. It can support a better lifestyle and improve overall health. Allopathy destroys bacteria but does not provide a permanent cure for the disease.
Why do people prefer Allopathy over Ayurveda?
People prefer allopathy over ayurveda due to the easy availability of modern medicine (Allopathy), whereas preferring ayurvedic therapy as it is cheap and does not have any side effects on the human body.
What are the advantages of Allopathy Medicine?
The following are some of the advantages of Allopathy Medicine:
>Research and Development