University of Otago New Zealand (also known as Otago University) was founded in the year 1869. It is one of the recognized medical universities to pursue MBBS in New Zealand, Situated in the city of Dunedin, New Zealand. The Faculty of Medicine, Otago University is one of the leading Medical Colleges in New Zealand.
In the 2017 QS World Rankings, Otago ranked 151st and is in the top 3% of universities in the world. As world-class teaching and research University, Otago offers a first-class education across more than 195 undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Business, Health Sciences, Humanities, and Sciences.
University of Otago New Zealand
Academic departments and schools at the University of Otago are divided into four academic divisions that train well-educated specialists for most sectors of the New Zealand national economy. In the 2018 QS World Rankings, Otago placed in the top 50 Universities worldwide in the five subject areas of Physical Education, Dentistry, Archaeology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Development Studies.
|Name of Institute||Faculty of Medicine, University of Otago New Zealand|
|Year of Establishment||1869|
|Location||Dunedin, New Zealand|
|Language of Teaching||New Zealand English/ Māori|
|No. Of Faculties||09|
|Academic Session Start||September|
|Category||Medical Colleges in New Zealand|
Affiliation, Recognition, and Achievement
- Affiliated with: MNU
- Approved by: WHO, MCI
- Aid Status: Public
- Anti Ragging
- Counselling Services
- Healthcare Services
- Local Language Learning Classes
- MCI Screening Test Help Centre
- Technical Issues
- Computer labs
The Faculty of Medicine, University of Otago New Zealand offers quality medical programs under the supervision of highly qualified Faculty and state of the art infrastructure. The College is famous for its medical programs (MBBS).
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS)||5 year|
|Bachelor of Dental Technology (B Dent Tech)||3 Year|
|Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH)||3 Years|
|Bachelor of Dental Surgery with Honours (BDS(Hons))||5 Year|
|Bachelor of Dental Technology with Honours (BDentTech(Hons))||4 Years|
|Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB)||6 Years|
Faculty & Staff
Academic departments and schools at the University of Otago are divided into four academic divisions that train well-educated specialists for most sectors of the New Zealand national economy. The college provides a good ratio of well trained and highly educated faculty members equipped with all the modern technology. It also provides sufficient numbers of non-technical staffs to provide an ambience of self-learning to the students. The college is committed to uplift the health care education and output delivery system for the people of the country.
The Admission procedure for University of Otago New Zealand is based on a round of counselling and academic progress. Students are advised to read the mentioned points to avoid any kind of rejection.
- Fill the Application form of the desired institute with all the right points of interest.
- You will get an offer letter. Save it for future use.
- Pay the University / College enrollment expense.
- After paying the MBBS fees for your desired medical college, apply for the Visa.
- Get Visa for studying MBBS in New Zealand.
- Now you are all set for Study in New Zealand. All the Best..!!
Georgia has been one of the top preferred destinations for international students to pursue their Medical Degree Courses. If you too want to study MBBS in University of Otago New Zealand, check the eligibility below.
|Age||You are at least 17 years old on or before 31st December of the admission year.
*No Upper Age Limit.
|Qualification||Class 12th in Science, with PCB and English subjects from a board recognized by the authorities in India.|
|Minimum Qualifying (%)||50% in 10+2 (UR)
|Qualifying Entrance||NEET (Some Medical College offers Direct entry to a valid NEET card Holder)|
|Medium of Teaching||English|
|Duration of Course||6 Years|
Before taking admission at Otago University, please do not forget to carry all these related documents.
- Passport (Minimum 18 months validity).
- 10th Certificate & Mark sheet.
- 12th Certificate & Mark sheet.
- Birth Certificate.
- 10 passport size Photographs
- Official Invitation letter from the Medical University of New Zealand.
- Authorization of all documents from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.
- Legalization of all documents from the New Zealand Embassy.
- Visa fees.
- Bank receipt of University 1st year Tuition fee (required for some Universities).
- HIV test documents.
MBBS Syllabus in New Zealand
Before going to apply for University of Otago New Zealand, please compare the MBBS Syllabus of some of the Top-ranked, MCI-approved medical universities in New Zealand. The structure and the pattern of MBBS in New Zealand are as follow:
|2nd Semester:||Anatomy and Histology|
|2nd||3rd Semester:||Histology, Anatomy, Bio-Chemistry, and Physiology|
|4th Semester:||Bio-Chemistry, Physiology, and Micro-Biology|
|3rd||5th Semester:||Pathology, Micro-Biology, Pharmacology, and Path physiology|
|6th Semester:||Path physiology, Pathology, and Pharmacology|
|4th – 6th||7th – 12th Semester:||Clinical Subjects and Clinical Postings
Oncology, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Psychology, Pediatrics, General Surgery, Gynecology, ENT, Emergency Medicine, and Cardiology are some of the subjects taught during fourth to the sixth year of MBBS in New Zealand.
The fees structure of Otago University for the undergraduate medical course is mentioned below.
Undergraduate Course (in USD)
|Health Sciences, Pharmacy, Surveying||$8,163.00|
|Physiotherapy – Years 2 to 3 inclusive||$7,061.00|
|Physiotherapy – Year 4||$8,240.00|
|Dentistry – MDS||$36,705.00|
Postgraduate Thesis & Honours
|Health Sciences, Pharmacy, Surveying||$9,951.00|
|Dentistry thesis (Non-clinical)||$10,154.00|
|Name of Institute||University of Otago New Zealand|
- It is one of the premier Medical Colleges in New Zealand.
- We would like to give 4 out of 5 stars on Edufever the Best MBBS college in New Zealand.
University of Otago New Zealand
Address: 362 Leith St, North Dunedin,
Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 479 7000 (callers outside New Zealand)
Fax: +64 3 479 8692
About New Zealand
New Zealand is one of the most picturesque and photogenic places on earth. With a population of only four million people. The country has Three official languages- New Zealand English, Māori and NZ Sign Language. New Zealand is a land of great contrasts and diversity. Active volcanoes, spectacular caves, deep glacier lakes, and long sandy beaches all contribute to New Zealand’s scenic beauty.
|Area||268,021 km2 (103,483 sq mi)|
|Capital City|| Wellington
Other largest cities: Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton, Tauranga.
|Language||English, Māori, NZ Sign Language|
|Climate||New Zealand has a largely temperate climate. While the far north has subtropical weather during summer|
|Currency||New Zealand dollar ($) (NZD)|
|Religion||48% Christianity, 6% other religion, 42% New Zealand Citizens(without any religion)|
MBBS in New Zealand 2020 Fact Check;
New Zealand higher medical education has gained a remarkable reputation in the world stage due to high educational standards with advance and sophisticated teaching methods and scientific approaches. Apart from this, what makes New Zealand a preferred destination for medical studies is the easy admission procedure.
Why Choose Study in New Zealand
- The Fee of MBBS in New Zealand is lower when compared to other study destinations around the globe.
- The medical education system in New Zealand is almost equivalent to India and many developing countries.
- Medical students in the country are exposed to several extracurricular activities and international seminars so that they could gain some confidence.
- All medical universities in New Zealand have the best infrastructure facilities and experienced faculty members.
- The Medical Council of India recognizes MBBS qualification acquired from New Zealand universities. Indian students can visit their country and work after completed their MBBS in New Zealand.
- MBBS in New Zealand is also known for the best FMGE passing percentage.
Things to Follow
- It is always a wise decision to carry your enrolment credentials and your student visa while leaving out from the campus. A copy of the passport, visa and registration papers is a must.
- Be on guard and don’t walk around unnecessarily and you should be fine. New Zealand may not be as safe as Switzerland, but it’s one of the safest countries to pursue your higher studies.
Pros & Cons;
Do you know? New Zealand offers the highest percentage of public funding in education in the world. Several indices rate New Zealand as the number one country in the world for education. New Zealand natives believe in giving everyone the education that they deserve. The country is so great at giving their public schools the monies they need, many parents are just as happy using the public system. There are a lot of advantages to studying in New Zealand, here are just a few:
Advantages of Study in New Zealand
- New Zealand medical universities and colleges far better education when compared to Indian private medical colleges. The main focus here is to enable students to acquire practical expertise. Students also have access to advanced technologies and devices.
- The MBBS degree is recognized by the WHO and UNESCO and is accepted across the world.
- Research-based education model which provides a high-quality learning experience.
- Easy entry. There is not a lot of competition for getting in college.
- Variety of food options available.
- Left-hand side driving on the road.
- Medical students in New Zealand are provided with the opportunities to gain practical knowledge through experiments and clinical clerkship.
- The infrastructure and facilities of hostels are excellent and Indian cuisines are served at the hostels to give students a homely feeling.
- Students studying in New Zealand get the opportunity to complete their internship program from the world-class medical college and hospitals of the world.
Disadvantages of Study in New Zealand
- Expensive travel to India.
- Exactly opposite climate scenario.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1: I left school some years ago. Can I apply?
Answer: Yes, so long as you meet other eligibility criteria.
Q.2: Is there an income limit for the entrance scholarships for those with financial hardship?
Answer: No. There is no income bracket for students wishing to be considered for scholarships such as the 150th/Alumni Appeal etc.
Q.3: Do I have to enrol in a course before applying for scholarships?
Answer: Yes. You must have completed the first stages of enrolment at the University of Otago to access the online entrance scholarship application. The college does not require you to have picked your major or minor, but you do need to be enrolled in a valid undergraduate program.
Q.4: Is student visa a mandatory in New Zealand?
Answer: YES, without a student visa, you can’t take admission in any MBBS colleges in New Zealand.
Q.5: Can a student get an education loan for a medical program in New Zealand?
Answer: YES. You can apply to various loan providing platform for education loan.
Q.6: How many times can medical student appear in the MCI screening test?
Answer: MCI doesn’t have any restrictions on the number of times a student can take the test.
Q.7: Can a student do an internship from India after completing a medical program in New Zealand?
Answer: Yes, once you clear the MCI screening test directed by the Medical Council of India.
Q.8: Is the New Zealand Medical Course acceptable in other countries?
Answer: Yes. The New Zealand medical colleges are authorized by WHO and UNESCO.
For further admission related queries, you can comment on the box mentioned below. Our top expert will serve you with the best possible solution. You may also leave your comments in the comment box mentioned below.
Best of luck..!!!
Application Form 2020
- UPES University, Dehradun: Application Form 2020 Released Apply Now >
- Sharda University, Noida: Application Form Open Now Apply Now >
- GNIOT Greater Noida Application Form Open Now Apply Now >
- Want to Study Abroad? Let's Talk... Apply Now >
- PIIT Greater Noida Application Form Open Now Apply Now >
- Apply for Getting Admission in Polytechnic Colleges in India Apply Now >
Disclaimer: If you have found any inappropriate or wrong information/data on the site, inform us by emailing at mail[@]edufever.com for rectification/deletion/updating of the same.
Do You Have Any Questions?? Ask Here for Quick Answer, Note: Write question with complete details for better answers