National Medical Commission (NMC) is an Indian regulatory body of 33 members which regulates medical education and medical professionals. It replaced the Medical Council of India on 25 September 2020. NMC has been constituted by an act of Parliament known as the National Medical Commission Act, 2019, which came into force on 25.9.2020 by gazette notification dated 24.9.2020. The Board of Governors in supersession of the Medical Council of India constituted under section 3A of the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 stands dissolved. NMC full form is National Medical Commission.
The Commission grants recognition of medical qualifications gives accreditation to medical schools, grants registration to medical practitioners, monitors medical practice and assesses the medical infrastructure in India.
Here in this section, we are providing a short overview of NMC (National Medical Commission). Let’s have a look.
|NMC||National Medical Commission|
|Predecessor||Medical Council of India (MCI)|
|Purpose||Medical Regulatory Agency|
|Affiliation with||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare|
|Established||25 September 2020|
|Chairman||Dr Suresh Chandra Sharma|
What is NMC or MCI?
The National Medical Commission (NMC) (former Medical Council of India/MCI) is the authority liable for conducting and overseeing major screening tests. While it manages tests like the NEET-UG and NEET-PG, it performs the famous Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) in India for students having an MBBS Abroad degree. This is compulsory for those Indian students who have completed their medical degrees abroad and want to study abroad and complete their medical education from MCI or NMC Approved Medical Colleges in India.
- The NITI Aayog recommended the replacement of the Medical Council of India (MCI) with the National Medical Commission (NMC).
- The NMC bill was passed by parliament and President on 8 August 2019.
- National Medical Commission ordinance was brought in to replace the Medical Council of India in early 2019 through a regulation issued in January 2019 by the President of India.
- The planning commission recommended the replacement of the Medical Council of India (MCI) with the National Medical Commission (NMC).
Functions of NMC
- lay down policies for maintaining high quality and high standards in medical education and make necessary regulations on this behalf;
lay down guidelines for regulating medical institutions, medical researchers and medical professionals and make necessary regulations on this behalf; assess the requirements in healthcare, including human resources for health and healthcare infrastructure and develop a road map for meeting such needs;
- promote, co-ordinate and frame guidelines and lay down policies by making necessary regulations for the proper functioning of the Commission, the Autonomous Boards and the State Medical Councils;
- ensure coordination among the Autonomous Boards;
- take such measures, as may be necessary, to ensure compliance by the State Medical Councils of the guidelines framed and regulations made for their effective functioning under this Act;
- exercise appellate jurisdiction concerning the decisions of the Autonomous Boards;
- lay down policies and codes to ensure observance of professional ethics in the medical profession and to promote ethical conduct during the provision of care by medical practitioners;
- frame guidelines for determining fees and all other charges in respect of fifty per cent. of seats in private medical institutions and deemed to be universities which are governed under the provisions of this Act;
- exercise such other powers and perform such other functions as may be prescribed.
In this selection, We will inform you that the commission consists of four autonomous boards. Let’s have a check.
- Under-Graduate Medical Education Board (UGMEB),
- Post-Graduate Medical Education Board (PGMEB),
- Medical Assessment and Rating Board and
- Ethics and Medical Registration Board
- The President of the Under-Graduate Medical Education Board.
- The President of the Post-Graduate Medical Education Board.
- The President of the Medical Assessment and Rating Board.
- The President of the Ethics and Medical Registration Board.
- The Director-General of Health Services, Directorate General of Health Services, New Delhi.
- The Director-General, Indian Council of Medical Research.
- Director of any of the All India Institutes of Medical Sciences.
- Two persons from among the Directors of Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Tata Memorial Hospital, North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health and Medical Sciences, and All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health.
- One person to represent the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Number of Medical Faculty & PG students in India
Below have mentioned the Number of Faculty 96649, the Number of PG Students (PG Broad Speciality) 75236, the Number of PG Students (Super-Speciality) 7748, the Number of Non-PG Junior Residents 19998, and the Number of Senior Residents 26969. Let’s have look;
Total Number of Faculty and Students
|State||No. of Faculty||No. of PG Students (Broad Speciality)||No. of PG Students (Super-Speciality)||No. of Non-PG Junior Residents||No. of Senior Residents|
|Andaman Nicobar Islands||102||0||0||37||17|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||87||0||0||28||17|
|Jammu & Kashmir||1210||1423||179||405||890|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the difference between MCI and NMC?
The NITI Aayog recommended the replacement of the Medical Council of India (MCI) with the National Medical Commission (NMC).
What is the full form of NMC?
NMC full form is the National Medical Commission.
What is the new NMC bill?
The NMC Bill offers a common final year MBBS exam, known as National Exit Test (NEXT), for admission to post-graduate medical courses and obtaining a license to practice medicine.
Who is the owner of NMC Hospital?
B. R. Shetty
Is an online medical degree valid in India?
As per the existing rules, NMC does not recognise or approve medical courses done through online mode.
- https://www.nmc.org.in/ NMC official website
- https://www.mohfw.gov.in/ MoHFW official website
- https://nbe.edu.in/ FMGE official website
Click here for more Education News