Studying MBBS in Sri Lanka is easy, cheap and flexible. The country probably has one of the Best Medical Universities and education systems in the world producing a literacy rate of 96.3% (It is an island country in South Asia). No Entrance test is required to study in Medical universities of Sri Lanka (Only NEET Qualification is enough).
Sri Lanka has always been ahead in the field of education and more specifically medicine. These conditions make Sri Lanka a premier destination for all Medical Aspirants in India. Throughout the article, we will get to know about various aspects of MBBS In Sri Lanka 2019 with all the pros and cons associated with it.
Sri Lanka, officially the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, it is an island country in South Asia, which is located in the Indian Ocean to the southwest of the Bay of Bengal and to the southeast of the Arabian Sea.
|Population||21,670,000 (2018 Estimate)|
|Area||Total: 65,610 km2 (25,330 sq mi) (120th) |
|Capital City||Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte |
Largest City: Colombo
|Language||Official Language: Sinhala, Tamil |
Recognised Language: English
|Climate||Average Temperature: 28°C– 32°C|
|Time Zone||UTC+5:30 (SLST)|
|Currency||Sri Lankan rupee (LKR)|
|Religion||Buddhism: 70.2%, Hinduism: 12.6%, Islam: 9.7% |
Christianity: 7.4% , Other/None: 0.1%
MBBS in Sri Lanka 2019 Fact Check;
Sri Lanka higher medical education has gained a remarkable reputation in the world stage due to high educational standards with advanced and sophisticated teaching methods and scientific approaches. Apart from this, what makes Sri Lanka a preferred destination for medical studies is the easy admission procedure which involves fast processing of paper works and no entrance test at the majority of Sinhala, Tamil universities. Here are some of the fact check to counter safety measures of Sri Lanka for Indian Students.
Things to Follow
- The cities of Sri Lanka are much safer than one can consider for a safe medical destination, but it’s still a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and avoid bad neighbourhoods in your city.
- It is always a wise decision to carry your enrolment credentials and your student visa while leaving out from the campus. A copy of the passport, visa and registration papers is a must.
- Be on guard and don’t walk around unnecessarily and you should be fine. Sri Lanka may not be as safe as Switzerland, but it’s one of the safest countries to pursue your higher studies.
- In recent time, the Sinhala, Tamil authorities have taken a hard line against skinhead activities that were once happening in the country. Thus the danger of getting attacked by a xenophobic gang is less likely than it was in the early 2000s.
Sri Lanka has been one of the top preferred destinations for international students to pursue their Medical Degree Courses. If you too want to study mbbs in Sri Lanka, check the eligibility below.
|Age||You are at least 17 years old on or before 31st December of the admission year.|
|Qualification||Candidates should have obtained at least ‘S’ Grades in each of the three subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics).|
|Minimum Qualifying (%)||50%|
|Qualifying Entrance||NEET (Some Medical College offers Direct entry to a valid NEET card Holder)|
|Medium of Teaching||English|
|Duration of Course||5 years + 12 Month Internship|
The Admission procedure for studying mbbs in Sri Lanka is based on a round of counselling and academic progress. Students are advised to read the mentioned points to avoid any kind of rejection.
- Fill the Application form of the desired institute with all the right points of interest.
- You will get an offer letter. Save it for future use.
- Pay the University/College enrollment expense.
- After paying the MBBS fees for your desired medical college, apply for the Visa.
- Get Visa for studying MBBS in Sri Lanka.
- Now you are all set to book a flight to Sri Lanka. All the Best..!!
Before taking admission in Medical college of Sri Lanka, please do not forget to carry all these related documents.
- Passport (Minimum 18 months validity).
- 10th Certificate & Mark sheet.
- 12th Certificate & Mark sheet.
- Birth Certificate.
- 10 passport size Photographs
- Official Invitation letter from the Medical University of Sri Lanka.
- Authorization of all documents from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.
- Visa fees.
- Bank receipt of University 1st year Tuition fee (required for some Universities).
- HIV test documents.
MBBS Syllabus in Sri Lanka
Before going to Sri Lanka for Medical Studies, please compare the MBBS Syllabus of some of the Top-ranked, MCI-approved medical universities in Sri Lanka. The structure and the pattern of MBBS in Sri Lanka are as follow:
|Phase I||Phase II||Phase III|
|1st year||2nd year||3rd year||4th year||5th year|
|Orient.||Basic & Applied Sciences Strand (Normal Structure and Function)||Basic & Applied Sciences Strand (Abnormal Structure and Function)||Clinical Skills Strand (Professorial Appointments)|
|IT||Clinical Skills Strand (basic)||Clinical Skills Strand (Clinical Rotations)|
|English||Community Health Strand (Principles of Public Health)||Community Health Strands (Principles and Practice of Health)|
|–||Behavioural Science & Mental Health Strand (Normal Human Behaviour)||Behavioural Science & Mental Health Strand (Abnormal Human Behaviour)|
Recognition of Sri Lanka Medical College
Checking the affiliation, recognition and other affiliating parameters are the most important factors that decide good and the best medical college. Medical colleges in Sri Lanka are affiliated with these authorities.
- UGC (University Grants Commission Sri Lanka)
- ACU (Association of Commonwealth Universities)
- IAU (International Association of Universities)
- Global Universities Partnership on Environment and Sustainability
Top MBBS Colleges in Sri Lanka
Here are the updated list 2019-20 of all Medical or MBBS Colleges in Sri Lanka officially made by the Medical Council of India. To know the detailed info about Fees Structure, Course offered, Admission Procedure, Placement Stats, Cut-off, Facilities available and complete college review, click the college link or Read more link, it will provide the list of best medical colleges.
University of Kelaniya
University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Nugegoda
MBBS in Sri Lanka Fees Structure;
Hopefully; Sri Lanka stands as one of the prime destinations when we say MBBS abroad to Indian students. The advance Medical Education and quality-driven training by medical universities of Sri Lanka are one of the prime concern that makes the country first choice for medical studies. All universities are perceived from UGC, MCI, and many other international medical bodies. The MBBS fees structure of any of the medical institute in Sri Lanka is less than Indian Medical Colleges. Let’s have a look at MBBS fee structure of some of the best Medical Universities of Sri Lanka.
|Name Of University||Tuition Fees/ Year||Hostel Fees|
|University of Kelaniya||NA||NA|
|University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Nugegoda||NA||NA|
Pros & Cons;
Do you know? With a literacy rate of 92.5%, Sri Lanka has one of the most literate populations amongst developing nations. Its youth literacy rate stands at 98% computer literacy rate at 35%, and primary school enrollment rate at over 99%. An education system which dictates 9 years of compulsory schooling for every child is in place. MBBS in Sri Lanka is one of the preferred destinations of Indian students. The MCI provides approval for many medical colleges and universities. There are a lot of advantages to studying in Sri Lanka, here are just a few:
Advantages of Studying in Sri Lanka
- No Entrance test is required to study in Medical universities of Sri Lanka (Only NEET Qualification is enough).
- No capitalization fee.
- The Indian students seeking admission are admitted in those institutions which are recognized by this medical council of India for screening test conducted by MCI.
- Wide range of possibilities and broad exposure to clinical practice due to highly equipped multi-profile hospitals.
- Colleges in Sri Lanka don’t ask for any kind of donation at the time of admission.
- Tuition fee is quite low and affordable.
- Medical colleges in Sri Lanka are acknowledged by elite bodies like WHO and MCI.
- Cost of living for students is quite low too.
- Sri Lanka’s MBBS courses follow the mode of the Sinhala, Tamil language as it is one of the most spoken languages in the world.
- Hostel accommodations are comfortable and up to the mark for a student’s comfort.
- MBBS colleges in Sri Lanka provide great academics, as well as sports.
- The MBBS degree that students get from Sinhala, Tamil medical colleges are globally renowned and hold great worth.
- Students become eligible for working in government hospitals after completing their MBBS course.
- Government hospitals in Sri Lanka offer practical training to medical students.
Disadvantages of studying in Sri Lanka
- As Sinhala, Tamil is the local language in Sri Lanka, therefore, students might feel the language as a barrier (outside the university campus).
- One might have to put extra efforts at learning the Sinhala, Tamil Language after the class hour.
- The entire Visa process for Sri Lanka is very tough as it takes more than two months after document submission to the concern embassy.
- Those who wish to study and work together to cover their expenses may face difficulties. Because it requires a lot of self-study and concentration.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is student visa a mandatory in Sri Lanka?
Ans. YES, without a student visa, you can’t take admission in MBBS colleges of Sri Lanka.
Q2. What is the medium of instruction?
Ans. English is the medium of instruction for all the universities and is widely spoken throughout the country.
Q3. Can I practice in my Country after I study medicine from Sri Lanka?
Ans. Yes, you can practice in your country, provided you comply with the rules and laws of the medical council or Medical board of your country. The University is recognized by the World Health Organization and other bodies.
Q4. What is MCI Screening Test?
Ans. Тhе Меdісаl Соunсіl оf Іndіа stірulаtеs thаt аll studеnts studуіng МВВЅ рrоgrаmmе frоm Меdісаl Соllеgеs оutsіdе Іndіа аnd wаntіng tо рrасtісе іn Іndіа аftеr соmрlеtіоn оf thеіr рrоgrаmmе, nееd tо арреаr fоr а “Ѕсrееnіng Теst”. Fоr mоrе іnfоrmаtіоn rеgаrdіng МСІ Ѕсrееnіng rеfеr.
- Medical (MBBS) Colleges in India
- Dental (BDS/MDS) Colleges in India
- Ayurveda (BAMS) Colleges in India
- Homoeopathic Medical (BHMS) Colleges in India
- Unani Medical (BUMS) Colleges in India
- Yoga Science (BNYS) Colleges in India
- Siddha Medical (BSMS) Colleges in India
- Veterinary (BVSC) Colleges in India
- Nursing (B.Sc) Colleges in India
- Physiotherapy (BPT/MPT) Colleges in India
- Pharmacy (B.Pharm/M.pharm) Colleges in India
For Further Admission related queries, you can comment on the box mentioned below. Our Top Expert will serve with the best possible solution
Best of Luck…!!!