From the name Oral Surgeon itself, it is understood it deals with surgical procedures. There are some points in your life when you dentist refer you to an Oral Surgeon when you have to extract your tooth, bone grafting, jaw advancement surgeries, get dental implants or any other surgical procedures.Well, this article will give you a glimpse of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery and help you to decide whether a career as an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon is a better profession for you or not.
Maxillofacial Surgeons are better known as Oral Surgeon is a hospital trained dentist who has specialized in the field of Oral Surgery. How an Oral Surgeon differ from a Dentist? What are the responsibilities of being an Oral Surgeon? To answer all such questions, continue reading the following article.
Get Latest Info. About this Story/Article, via SMS & Email.
- 1 What is Oral and Maxillofacial surgery?
- 2 What are the jobs of an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon?
- 3 Various Oral Surgery Courses in India
- 4 Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Jobs in India?
- 5 Top Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Colleges in India:
What is Oral and Maxillofacial surgery?
Most of the time people have got confused about dentistry and Oral Surgery. Dentistry is a medical discipline which deals with issues related to the oral cavity. A person who practices dentistry is known as a Dentist and Dentists can perform minor surgeries such as extraction and incision of small abscesses.
But an Oral Surgeon is a dentist who is specialized in the field of Oral Surgery and is able to perform complex surgeries. Oral Surgery studies about extraction, trans-alveolar extraction, jaw fractures, midface fracture, TMJ alkalosis and dislocation, jaw cysts, dental implants, and tumors.
What are the jobs of an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon?
Some of the important jobs related to Oral and Maxillofacial surgery are listed below:
- Supervisory and administrative duties
- Removal of teeth related issues.
- Perform Orthognathic surgery related to Human jaw surgery.
- Facial reconstruction after an accident.
- Removal of tumors and cysts.
- Perform for suspicious tissue to remove the chances of oral cancers
Various Oral Surgery Courses in India
To work as an Oral Surgeon or to make a career in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery, one may earn a degree in following Oral Surgery Courses.
(A) Master of Dental Surgery (M.D.S.) in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Eligibility: Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S.)
- Course Duration: 3 years
(B) Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Eligibility: Post Graduation
- Course Duration: 3 years
(C) Certificate Courses in Oral Surgery
- Eligibility: Higher Secondary
- Course Duration: 3 months
(D) Post Graduate Diploma in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Eligibility: Graduation
- Course Duration: 2 years
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Jobs in India?
Since an Oral Surgeon is a one among the primary doctor’s list, Oral Surgeons are in huge demand. Those who love teaching profession can work as a lecturer at universities and colleges pursuing Oral Surgery and those who love to keep their life always busy can work both as lecturer and Surgeon.
There are many governments as well as private hospitals and clinics offering jobs for an Oral Surgeon. One can start their own clinics or work as a Surgeon partner with another skilled Oral Surgeon. An Oral Surgeon can work as a
- Dental Surgeon
- Dental Service Chief
- Head of Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon (OMS)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon – Practice Owner
- Surgeon Partner
- Resident Physician
Top Oral and Maxillofacial surgery Colleges in India:
Some of the best colleges in India offering Career in Oral Surgery are as followed:
- AB Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Karnataka
- AJ Institute of Dental Sciences, Karnataka
- Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh
- Shubharti Dental College, Meerut
- Sri Sankara Dental College, Trivandrum
- King Georges Medical University, Lucknow
- Amrita School of Dentistry, Kochi